Skip to main content

A Fascinating Fourth

Tonight I was driving home at dusk with a belly full of BBQ ribs to my temporary home of small town America on the fourth of July.

I had seen online that the local fairgrounds would be setting off fireworks at 9:30 p.m.; and I, never carrying cash, was seeking an ATM where I could make a withdrawal for the fee at the gate to get in.

I pulled off the highway in my town, the sun gone and just a faint orange glow breaking through the incredibly tall pine trees, when I noticed that along the embankm
ent, a thick entanglement of tall grass, were a conglomeration of cars and lawn chairs - in the middle of virtually nowhere. I pulled off to the side of the highway, the one open spot, and looked around. Pick-up trucks with lawn chairs in the beds, SUVS, Miatas, dune buggies, motorcycles and more were the boulders among the pebbles of families gathered on picnic blankets, staring at the burnt-orange sky in anticipation. Despite all the warnings this past week fr
om locals that the dry season wouldn't allow fireworks, had I found somewhere where my 4th of July tradition
could be fulfilled?

I said I love you and goodnight to my girlfriend on the other end of the cell phone, and turned the car off. Dawning my fleece, a jug of sweet tea, my camera, and my camping chair out of my trunk (as I'm partially living out of my car these days), I found a soft spot in the grass with an
open view, and got comfortable.

Right on time at 9:30 p.m., the first firework illuminated the sky from
some distant spot deep within the massive pine forest, and lit up the faces of the 60 or so spectators around me, all huddled on the edge of the freeway. Now i'm a big city boy, and used to spectacular fireworks displays, with thousands of people cheering, and rock music blaring from cars and speakers from stages in sync with the music. But here, the fireworks came from one spot and there was not a sound but the voices of the families around me. It was incredibly quiet, save for the echo of the
boom of the fireworks, and the only sounds were the whispered voices around me. I sat and watched the simple, one-rocket-at-a-time fireworks, and listened to the soundtrack of my temporary community of teenagers, families, and grandparents:

  • "Sparkle like a princesses tiara!"
  • "That's my favorite!"
  • "They do one of these every night at Disneyland?"
  • "Sounds like a bug zapper.....or hands clapping."
  • "It's so fluffy!"
  • Someone softly singing "baby you're a firework"
  • "I love you Brad Pitt!"
  • A VERY young child, defiantly, "I know what puss means!" followed by adult laughter

There was something so human, so communal, of not having a thundering show with blasting fireworks -able to hear every oooo and ahhhh, every conversation, excitement, or disappointment (when a rocket fizzled out). But it made me grin probably wider than any
fireworks show I've ever watched. Instead of being in awe of the wonder of fire and powder, I felt home, gravitated, centered, balanced, comfortable, safe and warm, hearing the earnest thoughts of the crowd and the wind through the trees. It was peaceful, an incredibly humanizing event - not some out-of-body experience where you're lost in the wonder of the glow and thunder; but a very real event, where I was completely conscious of the people and stories around me - and how pleasant, kind, and happy everyone was. It was a family holiday.

It's not a new or revolutionary thought, but it's one that's worth being reminded of: when we turn all the noise and clutter and distortion off in our lives, we can once again become centered and feel truly at peace with our community.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventure in the Amazon

The Journey to the Amazon A sudden drop in altitude and my head shot up from a deep sleep as the little Peruvian Airlines jet bounced along. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I looked out the window to find a never-ending expanse of deep green jungle canopy coated with a golden sheen left from sunrise. Through the dark twist was a chocolate brown serpent slithering through the foliage – the Amazon River. I was almost to my destination….. On Friday morning, as I secured my tie and jacket for our client’s final presentation, I casually leafed through my National Geographic guide to Peru, wondering what I would do with my new-found freedom that the academic half of my spring break was about to conclude. I came upon the “Iquitos” chapter, a sleepy town buried deep in the Amazon Jungle along the illusive river – and it dawned upon me: I never knew the Amazon Jungle came through northeastern Peru, very close to my current home base of Lima. I planted the seed in my head and let it carefu

Venturing Vegas

Getting There At the end of 2011's summer, I was finishing up my graduate school internship in northern California, when it struck me that I had never seen Las Vegas. For those of you getting A+'s in geography, NoCal isn't necessarily close to Vegas; however, as a Midwesterner at the time, the west coast was the closest I'd ever been to Sin City. I had an undergraduate classmate working at the world-famous Wynn Las Vegas ; so with him as my guide, I decided it was the perfect time to head south and to see what all the lights were about. As you know, this blog is about teaching you how to prepare for and enjoy travel to its fullest extent; however, preparing for this 17-hour round-trip, weekend-long excursion would be my undoing. Having never been to Vegas, flying without a posse or a wingman, and not being one built for the "club scene," I had no idea how to dress. So I loaded my little black Mazda 3 with virtually all of the clothes I had brought for my inter

Gilroy Garlic Festival

Background Named for the town of Gilroy, California , the annual Gilroy Garlic Festiva l began in 1979 and is the town's top fundraiser. According to Wikipedia , then president of the local Gavilan College , visited a small town in France in which, as it called itself the "Garlic Capital of the World," hosted an annual garlic festival (potentially Beaumont-de-Lomagne or La Foire a l'ail Fume d'Arleux ). He brought the idea home, where the last-week-of July annual festival draws 80,000 - 100,000 people each year. If you neither live in Northern California nor are a garlic aficionado, then unfortunately you most likely learned about the Gilroy Garlic Festival in 2019 after a fatal domestic terrorist attack on its property. On its final day, shortly before closing, someone secretly entered the property wearing a bullet-proof vest, and armed with a WASR-10 semi-automatic rifle and 275 rounds. The gunman unleashed 39 rounds on festival-goers near an inflatable slide,