Skip to main content

Riding So-Lo or with a Crew?

Whether it's a day at the beach or a week lost in Paris, there's a basic decision to be made: go it alone or bring a travel-mate. There are positives and negatives to both, enriching or absolutely destructive. Some are very tangible....while others, well, even a year meditating in Tibet may not bring easy enlightenment. Here's a quick break-down of some positives and negatives of both choices - solo or team.

Going the Distance Alone

Positives
  1. You have the chance to enjoy quiet reflection.
  2. You are independent to make your own decisions, choose when and where to go (within legal constraints - let's be good travelers now).
  3. You are empowered in your independence.
  4. You are more flexible to sudden changes in the environment or travel plans, since only one person's situation is changing.
  5. You'll sound cool when you come home and tell your story - that you were able to go it alone.
  6. You have the opportunity to focus on the exact themes of your trip you enjoy (if you want to visit the symphony in every town you visit, no one will argue otherwise).

Negatives

  1. If something emotionally or tragically disastrous happens to you, you don't have back-up to call on. Check out the trailer for the new movie 127 Hours.
  2. Missed opportunity. Without a second, third or fourth mind thinking of tons of opportunities, you may miss chances to try new/exciting things you hadn't considered or researched.
  3. Potentially higher personal financial costs, as you're not sharing on rooms, campsites, group-trips, food or gas.
  4. You'll never get to say "can you believe that?" By nature, humans are a collaborative and sharing society (plenty of arguments, please just go with me here). If you're alone, you can't appreciate and analyze experiences with others.

You +1, +2, +3.....

Positives

  1. You have someone to appreciate the environment with, to comment and analyze.
  2. If an emergency happens, you've got someone to help you.
  3. There are other brains to help you plan and execute, on your trip, to provide more opportunities to explore.
  4. Shared wallets can lower overall costs on sharable items such as gas, housing, food and group events.
  5. If all goes well in the trip, it's a great opportunity to strengthen relationships with friends, family or partners.

Negatives

  1. If your relationship is not strong with the person(s) you travel with, and all does not go well, a group trip can destroy a relationship.
  2. If the disaster is large (not just you getting sick on bad food), the well-being of multiple people is now compromised.
  3. You lose the independence you loved of traveling alone: if you are being fair, group consensus must focus on group desired destinations/events.
  4. Naturally, you become somewhat dependent on your travel partners. Making sure they're ready to go or are accounted for; or conversely, you're always catching up to them.

When it comes down to it, it's really about what you want to get out of your adventure. Peace and independence or collaboration and shared appreciation? The journey is yours to decide....unless you share it :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventure in the Amazon

The Journey to the Amazon A sudden drop in altitude and my head shot up from a deep sleep as the little Peruvian Airlines jet bounced along. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I looked out the window to find a never-ending expanse of deep green jungle canopy coated with a golden sheen left from sunrise. Through the dark twist was a chocolate brown serpent slithering through the foliage – the Amazon River. I was almost to my destination….. On Friday morning, as I secured my tie and jacket for our client’s final presentation, I casually leafed through my National Geographic guide to Peru, wondering what I would do with my new-found freedom that the academic half of my spring break was about to conclude. I came upon the “Iquitos” chapter, a sleepy town buried deep in the Amazon Jungle along the illusive river – and it dawned upon me: I never knew the Amazon Jungle came through northeastern Peru, very close to my current home base of Lima. I planted the seed in my head and let it carefu

Venturing Vegas

Getting There At the end of 2011's summer, I was finishing up my graduate school internship in northern California, when it struck me that I had never seen Las Vegas. For those of you getting A+'s in geography, NoCal isn't necessarily close to Vegas; however, as a Midwesterner at the time, the west coast was the closest I'd ever been to Sin City. I had an undergraduate classmate working at the world-famous Wynn Las Vegas ; so with him as my guide, I decided it was the perfect time to head south and to see what all the lights were about. As you know, this blog is about teaching you how to prepare for and enjoy travel to its fullest extent; however, preparing for this 17-hour round-trip, weekend-long excursion would be my undoing. Having never been to Vegas, flying without a posse or a wingman, and not being one built for the "club scene," I had no idea how to dress. So I loaded my little black Mazda 3 with virtually all of the clothes I had brought for my inter

Gilroy Garlic Festival

Background Named for the town of Gilroy, California , the annual Gilroy Garlic Festiva l began in 1979 and is the town's top fundraiser. According to Wikipedia , then president of the local Gavilan College , visited a small town in France in which, as it called itself the "Garlic Capital of the World," hosted an annual garlic festival (potentially Beaumont-de-Lomagne or La Foire a l'ail Fume d'Arleux ). He brought the idea home, where the last-week-of July annual festival draws 80,000 - 100,000 people each year. If you neither live in Northern California nor are a garlic aficionado, then unfortunately you most likely learned about the Gilroy Garlic Festival in 2019 after a fatal domestic terrorist attack on its property. On its final day, shortly before closing, someone secretly entered the property wearing a bullet-proof vest, and armed with a WASR-10 semi-automatic rifle and 275 rounds. The gunman unleashed 39 rounds on festival-goers near an inflatable slide,